Saturday, March 27, 2010

CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE

So before I get too caught up in what I've done so far with rope and with my studies, allow me to credit my current sources-- my bibliography if you will. You see, when it comes to books to learn from, while there are literally thousands of how-to books on knots, bondage and the like, there are two entities who are considered THE authorities on the subject, at least here in my neck of the woods. I do not mean they are local mind you, just that everyone in my area seems to recommend these people's books. SO... Um, who am I to to ignore such advice from so many of the same sources?

The first of the authors I would like to mention is Midori. She published the book "The Seductive Art of Japanese Bondage." It is considered the first book any Shibari student should read, as the methods used therein are very much traditional, and classic ties are covered throughout.



So the next author I would like to credit is actually two... Two Knotty Boys, to be specific. The two of them have done something I've tossed about in my head for a couple years now-- Incorporating Chinese knotting into shibari, to create an even MORE artistic rope bondage style. I had wanted to do this for some time now, but found the books on the subject of Chinese knotting either too droll and boring to hole my interest or filled with diagrams that a psychiatrist could use for a fucking rorshach test. The first hing you'll notice in teh books published by Two Knotty Boys is the photo breakdowns they have for the knots are pretty easy to understand. I found myself learning knots surprisingly easily thanks to them. These guys not only went eclectic on this subject, they did it with style and humor... You won't find the books they've published, "Showing You the Ropes" and "Back on the Ropes," the least bit dry or dull.


Not only that, but they've got a YouTube channel on which they cover how various knots are tied:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment